It’s around a year ago that a group of friends got together to form the Bay Promo Team; volunteers from the town with varying skills ranging from marketing, IT, fundraising, and event management to help boost the town in some way.
You could almost call it our birthday 🙂
So what have we actually done in the last 12 months?
* Our Facebook page was formed in spring 2012 year and has grown to over 1,600 followers, and 700+ people now follow us on Twitter. This enables us to get details of events and promotions from businesses and local groups out to a wider audience, hopefully increasing footfall. Add our other Facebook pages; Herne Bay Zombie Crawl, Sci-Fi By The Sea, and Visit Herne Bay pages, and this number goes up to over 3,000 which is great news in terms of helping us reach people.
* We developed the Herne Bay App for mobile devices shortly afterwards. Almost 1,000 people have installed the free Herne Bay app, using it for everything from tide tables, weather forecasts, to the digital bay card and it’s FREE from the Apple App store or Android app store, just search for Herne Bay!
* Our website at www.baypromoteam.co.uk developed last summer is visited regularly and has now been viewed several thousand times and continues to be extremely popular.
* We have designed and created countless flyers, posters and videos for a wide range of local groups at no cost to help them market events better, and these have been heavily shared across social networks helping to get their message across.
* Members of the team have been good sports and donned character costumes regularly throughout the year at numerous events, giving away lots of treats, bringing lots of smiles to lots of children.
* We put together Herne Bay’s first ‘Halloweek’ festival which received lots of coverage; a week of spooky fun, including workshops for kids, and even psychic readings for adults, all ending with our giant Zombie Crawl.
* Over 1200 members of the community Zombied themselves up, and joined in our fun charity Zombie Crawl, and many in our Zombie Ball in November, raising almost £3,000 for charity. Herne Bay was featured in national magazines, SFX and Coast Magazine as a result.
* Almost 600 people enjoyed our Christmas Ball at the Kings Hall just a month later, raising £600 for 2 local charities.
* The New Year saw the launch of our free local shop directory, which, if you now Google ‘Herne Bay shops’ will appear on page 1 of Google search results via our website. Visit baypromteam.co.uk and click on the shopping directory heading
* Our Harlem Shake video (following a request from a member of public) went somewhat viral and has been viewed over 13,000 times (from all over the world) bringing our YouTube channel video views total to over 27,000.[youtube]http://youtu.be/IcQO4GnIxbQ[/youtube]
* Around 200 children enjoyed Creme eggs at Easter from our very brave Easter Bunny, and 10 children had a big surprise when the Easter Bunny himself appeared at their doors Easter Sunday morning![youtube]http://youtu.be/DPf-pKE1J40[/youtube]
* Talented photographers from the town have submitted hundreds of fantastic photos to our community albums, helping to show we have a town to be proud of – after all, the camera doesn’t lie!
With this much interaction, both digitally across the web, and physically with the people that have enjoyed our events, we hope we’ve made some kind of impact in helping promote Herne Bay.
We always felt that promotion needed to start from within, and we believe it has. We’d like to thank everyone from the good people of the town, to the businesses that have given a helping hand for their infectious positivity – lets keep it going, it’s working 🙂